Check out these materials to enhance reading Peter Pan Chapter 5.
Chapter 5 The Island Come True Summary
Neverland is a lazy place when Peter is away. As soon as he comes home, the island wakes up.
The Lost Boys are out walking around the island. There are six of them: Tootles, Nibs, Slightly, Curly, and the Twins.
Hook and his pirates are following the boys. There is the boatman Snee, who is a likable fellow, even if he is a pirate. Captain Hook is the leader of the group.
Following behind the pirates are the Native Americans. Tiger Lily is with the group. She is the beautiful daughter of the chief.
An assortment of animals, bears, lions, and so on, are tracking the Native Americans. These wild animals are looking for a meal. Behind the animals is the crocodile.
The Lost Boys hear the pirates and run to the safety of their home. This is an underground cavern. Each boy has his own entrance to the home cut in a tree that is just the right size for him to get through.
Captain Hook and the Pirates
Captain Hook and the pirates sit down in the woods. Hook begins telling Snee how he lost his hand in a battle with Peter Pan. Peter Pan cut off his hand and fed it to the crocodile. The crocodile is a huge guy. Hook is terrified of him; however, the crocodile has also eaten a ticking clock. This means Hook can hear him before he approaches. All of a sudden the mushroom that Snee is sitting on becomes hot. The pirates have found the Lost Boy’s hidden home. Hook plans a way to get rid of the boys by leaving a rich poisonous cake close by. The pirates like this idea and begin singing. All of a sudden, the group hears the ticking of the crocodile and must run away.
The boys head outside. Suddenly Nibs is chased by wolves. The other boys run to his aid. The wolves are getting close when the boys bend over and look at them between the legs because this is what Peter would do. This action confuses the wolves who run away.
The boys see a “large bird” flying overhead. Tinker Bell tells them to shoot the Wendy bird. Tootles shoots the bird, who is really Wendy, and she falls from the sky.
Chapter 5 The Island Come True Printables
This free pdf file contains three printable practice worksheets:
- Vocabulary Practice with melancholy & ruffian
- Comprehension Questions for Chapter 5
- Three Constructed Response Writing Questions [Character Traits of the Lost Boys, Character Traits of the Pirates, and Character Traits of Captain Hook]
Sample Questions from the Handout
- Read this line from Chapter 5. But with the coming of Peter, who hates lethargy, they are under way again: if you put your ear to the ground now, you would hear the whole island seething with life.
The word lethargy most likely means…
- Read this line from Chapter 5. Poor kind Tootles, there is danger in the air for you tonight. Take care lest an adventure is now offered you, which, if accepted, will plunge you in deepest woe. Which literary device is used?
- figurative language
- Explain the progression of movement as each group of people chase the others in Neverland.
- Describe the hideout of the lost boys.
- Explain the Piccaninnies.
- Describe Tiger Lily.
Where do I Begin?
If you wish to use the entire Peter Pan Book Unit, the best place to start is with the FREE introduction resource found on Teachers Pay Teachers. This resource contains the following:
Follow these links to see the entire book unit: