This free book study for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is being offered in weekly installments. The best place to begin is with the introduction found here. This post contains teaching materials for Chapter 3 ~ How Dorothy Saved the Scarecrow.
Summary of Chapter 3 ~ How Dorothy Saved the Scarecrow
After Dorothy spends the night at a rich Munchkin’s home, she heads out for the Emerald City. On her trip down the yellow brick road, Dorothy comes across the Scarecrow. He asks Dorothy to help him down from a pole. Once the Scarecrow learns Dorothy is going to see the Great Oz to ask for help in getting home to Kansas, he asks Dorothy if he can come along and see if the Great Oz can give him a brain. Dorothy agrees.
Teaching Materials for Chapter 3 ~ How Dorothy Saved the Scarecrow
resolve [verb] ~ to decide firmly or reach a conclusion; determine, settle
This worried Dorothy a little, but she knew that only the Great Oz could help her get to Kansas again, so she bravely resolved not to turn back.
❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿ ❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿❤
tedious [adjective] ~ long and boring; dull; wearisome, monotonous, tiresome
“I’m not feeling well,” said the Scarecrow, with a smile, “for it is very tedious being perched up here night and day to scare away crows.”
- Which of the following events happened first?
- Dorothy slept in a pretty blue bedroom at Bog’s house.
- Dorothy found the yellow brick road.
- She met a scarecrow.
- Dorothy put on a blue gingham dress.
- The Munchkins were curious because…
- They had never seen a dog before.
- Dorothy wore blue and white.
- they didn’t know why Dorothy was going to the Emerald City alone.
- Dorothy wore the silver shoes.
- The Munchkins felt Dorothy was a sorceress because ___.
- [Check all that apply.]
- ___ Dorothy wore blue.
- ___ she wore the silver shoes.
- ___ Dorothy whistled the magical song.
- ___ she killed the Wicked Witch.
- ___ Dorothy knew how to dance.
- Write the simile that was used to describe how Toto felt about the scarecrow.
- Draw a Munchkin house using the descriptions from Chapter 3.
- Compare how Dorothy knew the Scarecrow was alive in the movie to the same event in the book.
- Constructed Response ~ Point of View
- Language Arts Skill ~ Latin Root [spec]
Follow these links to see the entire book unit: