This free book study for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is being offered in weekly installments. The best place to begin is with the introduction found here. This post contains teaching materials for Chapter 2 ~ The Council with the Munchkins.
Summary of Chapter 2 ~ The Council with the Munchkins
Dorothy’s house crashes in the Land of Oz right on top of the Wicked Witch of the East. The Munchkins and the Witch of the North celebrate Dorothy’s arrival because she has killed the Wicked Witch. The Munchkins are now free. Dorothy knows that Aunt Em and Uncle Henry will be worried about her, so she asks for help getting back to Kansas. The good Witch of the North tells Dorothy to go to the Emerald City and ask the Great Oz for help.
Teaching Materials for Chapter 2 ~ The Council with the Munchkins
dismal [adjective] ~ full of gloom; sad, miserable, grim
dismally [adverb] ~ turns dismal into and adverb
As it was, the jar made her catch her breath and wonder what had happened; and Toto put his cold little nose into her face and whined dismally.
❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿ ❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿❤
dismay [noun] ~ alarm, confusion, or mental distress
“Oh, dear! Oh, dear!” cried Dorothy, clasping her hands together in dismay. “The house must have fallen on her. Whatever shall we do?”
- The main idea of Chapter 2 is . . .
- The cyclone carried Dorothy to the land of the Munchkins .
- Dorothy arrived in the land of the Munchkins killing the Wicked Witch of the East and meeting the Witch of the North.
- After landing in Oz, Dorothy was given the silver shoes.
- Dorothy met an unusual group of Munchkins.
- Which question can you NOT answer after reading Chapter 2?
- What was the name of the Wicked Witch of the East?
- What did Dorothy do with the silver shoes?
- Which special protection did the Witch of the North give Dorothy?
- What color did the Munchkins wear?
- Which of the following was NOT an effect of Dorothy landing in the Land of the Munchkins?
- A messenger sent word to Witch of the North.
- Dorothy was given the silver shoes.
- The Wicked Witch of the East was killed.
- Dorothy met the noble Sorceress.
- List one simile from Chapter 2.
- Draw a map of Oz using the descriptions provided in Chapter 2. Show where Dorothy landed. Write the names of the people and rulers of each area.
Follow these links to see the entire book unit: