What was in the middle of the island?
- a waterfall
- a volcano
- a village
- a huge rock
Why didn't Mafatu eat the coconuts?
- The coconuts were not ripe.
- He didn't like coconuts as much as the other fruit.
- He was too weak to climb up the coconut tree.
How was Mafatu going to heal his coral wound?
- with lime juice
- with sulfur water from the lagoon
- by rubbing it with healing herbs
After climbing the plateau, Mafatu saw a distant island with ----.
- an active volcano
- goats and pigs
- banana trees
How did Mafatu react to seeing the wild boar?
- Mafatu was terrified and ran in the opposite direction.
- Mafatu decided to make a spear and kill it for food.
- Mafatu decided to trap the wild boar, so he would not have to fear it charging him again.
Mafatu's grandfather wore ----.
- a loin cloth and nothing else
- a headdress made from bird feathers
- a necklace made from boar tusks
What was the first sign Mafatu saw that man had been on this island?
- Mafatu spotted footprints along the beach.
- The bananas had been cut by a knife.
- Mafatu saw human bones.
- Mafatu saw a cup and a bowl that had been carved from wood.
What did Mafatu find at the end of the path?
- an animal pen
- an ancient idol
- a thatched hut
- a canoe
Mafatu took ---- from the Sacred Place.
- a knife
- a spear head
- bowls and plates
Why did Mafatu celebrate touching the idol?
- Mafatu had conquered a fear.
- Touching the idol would bring Mafatu good luck.
- Mafatu wanted to be like his grandfather who had told him about a time he had touched an idol.
How did Mafatu make a shelter?
- by clearing out a small cave
- by weaving together limbs
- by plaiting fronds together
- by digging a tunnel
Mafatu and Uri ate --- for supper.
- bread fruit and bananas
- wild boar