What does the name Mafatu mean?
- Lone Boy
- Brave One
- the Boy Who Was Afraid
- Great Chief
When Mafatu was 3 years old ----.
- he was kidnapped by members of the Hikueru tribe
- a wild boar attacked him as he slept
- the man eaters took his mother
- he was washed out to sea during a hurricane
Mafatu was afraid of -----.
- the sea
The island people believed Mafatu's fear was caused by ----.
- a weakness in his mind
- watching his mother die
- the ghost spirit
Mafatu was not allowed to go with the fishermen because ----.
- he brought ill luck
- he always dropped his spear
- he shook the boat
- he lost his fish
_____ Mafatu's only companion.
- Moana, his stepmother, was
- His father and stepbrothers were
- Kivi, an albatross, and Uri, a yellow dog, were
- Chief Tavana Nui was
Why was Kivi, the albatross, different from the other birds?
- He was an unusual color.
- One of his wings had been clipped.
- He was unable to eat fish.
- One of his feet was smaller than the other.
What were bonitos?
Mafatu decided to ----- to prove he was brave.
- go off to into the sea by himself
- go fishing with the other boys
- catch a shark
How did Kivi, his albatross, help Mafatu?
- Kivi warned Mafatu of a shark ahead.
- Kivi guided Mafatu safely away from the island.
- Kivi brought Mafatu fish to eat.
What is the main idea of Chapter 1 "Flight"?
- The reader learns that Mafatu is the chief's son and he is not liked by the islanders.
- The reader learns that Mafatu prefers to make spears and fishing nets because he is afraid of the sea.
- The reader learns that the islanders dislike Mafatu because he can only find friends with a dog and a bird.
- The reader learns why Mafatu is afraid of the sea, and Mafatu leaves the island to face this fear.