Why did Chris have a difficult time leaving the house?
- Leah wanted to know where he was going.
- Mammy wanted him to help her clear away the supper dishes.
- Pappy wanted him to help haul logs.
How did Chris feel as he was walking to meet Lukie?
Chris passed a ------- on the road.
- Yankee soldier
- dead mule
The boys heard ------ .
- an owl
- a bobcat
Once an owl ------.
- hit Lukie in the face
- caught Nate by his hair
- screeched in Chris's ear
Chris brought along his ------.
After hearing Lukie talk about the mule pen, Chris just about decided to turn around and head back home. He was going to give up his plan because he had not planned on --------.
- the mules being heavily guarded
- the trip taking so long
- the night being so dark
How did Lukie feel about Chris's plan to free the mules?
- very excited - He couldn't wait to help
- scared - He wouldn't even go and watch.
- glad - He wanted the soldiers to suffer for what they had done to his family.
Chris didn't have to be quiet because -----.
- someone was playing a guitar
- the mules were braying
- the soldiers were singing
- the wind was blowing
Chris didn't like --------.
- that so many guards were around the pen
- that the pen was in the open
- many fires lighted the area all the way around the pen
What saved Chris from the sentry finding him in the mule pen?
- He ran to get out of the rain.
- Another sentry called him away for Chris.
- His coffee was ready.
How did Chris get the mules to leave the pen?
- Thunder scared them.
- He went in the pen, yelled, and hit them.
- He gently called to them.