In the novel, The Tiger Rising, twelve year old Rob walks through the woods near his Florida home, he stumbles upon a caged tiger. The same day, he meets a girl named Sistine Bailey. Rob is full of bottled up emotions. Before long, he begins confiding his feelings with Sistine. Rob even shows Sistine the tiger. When she sees it, she insists they let it go. This leads to tragedy.
Teaching Ideas for the Book
Have students use easek.ly to create character maps of Sistine and Rob.
3D Tour of the Sistine Chapel
Sissy was named after the Sistine Chapel. Have students ‘visit’ the Sistine Chapel using this virtual tour.
Interview with Kate DiCamillo
Online Tiger Printables and How-Tos
- Dover Publications
- Tiger Origami
- How to Draw Cartoon Tigers
- Corner Bookmarks
Online Teaching Resources
- Six Page The Tiger Rising Teachers’ Guide from Candlewick Press
- The Tiger Rising Discussion Guide from Scholastic
Book Unit Samples
- Vocabulary Practice for Chapters 1-3 [harbor and astounded]
- Comprehension Questions for Chapters 1-3
- Constructed Response Question – Symbolism
- Photos to Show What the Rest of the Unit Looks Like
The Tiger Rising Book Unit contains graphic organizers for an interactive notebook and game activities. Vocabulary, comprehension, constructed response writing, and skill practice are all included.