Get The Gift of the Magi Unit over 4 blog posts. This fourth post The Gift of the Magi Writing Project contains a short essay question for students.
It’s not too early to plan your Christmas units. The Gift of the Magi is a heartwarming story of a young married couple who sell their most prized possessions to have money to buy gifts for the other. It makes a wonderful mini-unit to teach during the Christmas season.
The Gift of the Magi Writing Project
- Have students select one famous couple. The couple may be nonfictional historical couples or fictional ones from literature.
- Printables are provided for the following couples:
- The Little Mermaid and the Prince
- Romeo and Juliet
- Beauty and the Beast
- Mark Anthony and Cleopatra
- Lancelot and Guinevere
- John Smith and Pocahontas
- Robin Hood and Maid Marian
- Napoleon and Josephine
- John and Abigail Adams
- Helen of Troy and Paris
- If you randomly assign the couples, students might need to do a little research to learn enough to complete the project.
- Students will rewrite the story of The Gift of the Magi with the famous couple as the two main characters of the story. Be sure students include the following elements in the revised story:
- What is the setting of the story based on the new characters?
- From whose perspective is the story going to be told?
- What would be the most prized possession of each character? What would each character give up for the person s/he loves?
The Gift of the Magi Writing Project Materials
Click here to download The Gift of the Magi writing project. This resource contains ten different famous couples. Both full color and black line copies are provided.
Google Slides for the Writing Project. Get the famous couple you want or collect all 10.