This free book study for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is being offered in weekly installments. The best place to begin is with the introduction found here. This post contains teaching materials for Chapter 20 ~ The Dainty China Country.
Summary of Chapter 20 ~ The Dainty China Country
The travelers come to a large white porcelain wall. The Scarecrow finds a ladder and the group climbs up to the top of the wall. They are amazed and the land below. The ground is one large porcelain platter; and the people, homes, and animals are knee high figurines made completely of porcelain. A milking maid and cow are startled by the appearance of strangers in their land. This causes the cow to break its leg. The group learns that a china mender must glue him back together.
As the group crosses this strange land, they meet other figures including a beautiful princess, a joker, and a clown. All are afraid of being broken as they are not as pretty after being mended. Dorothy wants to take the princess with her until she learns that she will become stiff if she leaves her country.
After an hour of walking, the group reaches the other side of this unusual country.
Teaching Materials for Chapter 20 ~ The Dainty China Country
reproachful [adjective] ~ expressing or full of reproach or accusation
As she left them the milkmaid cast many reproachful glances over her shoulder at the clumsy strangers, holding her nicked elbow close to her side.
❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿ ❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿❤
saucy [adjective] ~ bold or impertinent in a way that charms or amuses
saucily [adverb] ~ turns saucy into an adverb
The Clown put his hands in his pockets, and after puffing out his cheeks and nodding his head at them saucily, he said:
“My lady fair, why do you stare at poor old Mr. Joker? You’re quite as stiff and prim as if you’d eaten up a poker!”
- Which of the following words could be used to describe the china people? Check all that apply.
_____ knee high
- Sequence the following events in order by numbering them in the correct sequence.
_____ The cow broke its leg.
_____ The travelers stood on the Lion’s back.
_____ The Scarecrow found a fence.
_____ The Princess told Dorothy the Joker was cracked in the head.
_____ Each of the travelers said, “Oh, my!”
- The china people were most afraid of ___.
- being broken
- the clumsy Scarecrow
- the china mender
- Why did the village of china people need a fence surrounding their domain?
- Explain why Dorothy wanted to take one of the figures with her. Why did she decide to leave the figure behind?
- Explain why you feel the china people were left out of the movie version of this story. Use details from the book to support your answer.
- Constructed Response ~ Mood
- Language Arts Skill ~ Analogies with Part/Whole, Item/Category, & Place/ User
Follow these links to see the entire book unit: