This free book study for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is being offered in weekly installments. The best place to begin is with the introduction found here. This post contains teaching materials for Chapter 18 ~ Away to the South.
Summary of Chapter 18 ~ Away to the South
The four travelers mourn the loss of Oz. They go to the Throne Room to talk about how to get Dorothy back to Kansas. First they decide to use the Golden Cap to summon the Winged Monkeys. The Winged Monkeys tell the group that they can’t leave the Land of Oz, so they can’t help Dorothy.
Next the group calls the soldier with the green whiskers to ask him for advice. The soldier tells the group that their best hope is to go to the Land of the South and ask Glinda the Good Witch for help. The journey will be dangerous because of the wild animals and a group of strange men who do not like travelers in their land.
The group decides to leave the next morning.
Teaching Materials for Chapter 18 ~ Away to the South
mourn [verb] ~ to feel very sad or be sorry for
“Truly I should be ungrateful if I failed to mourn for the man who gave me my lovely heart.
❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿ ❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿❤
modest [adjective] ~ not thinking too highly of oneself; humble
modestly [adverb] ~ turns modest into an adverb
“For my part, I am content in knowing I am as brave as any beast that ever lived, if not braver,” said the Lion modestly.
- The main conflict of Chapter 18 is ___.
- losing Oz
- figuring out how to rule the Emerald City
- finding Glinda
- figuring out a way to get Dorothy back to Kansas
- A good title for Chapter 18 could be ___.
- Ruling the City
- Mourning the Loss of Oz
- Forming a Plan
- The Winged Monkeys
- The effect of using the Golden Cap was . . .
- The group learned about the wild beasts in the woods and a race of strange men.
- Dorothy lost one of her three charms.
- The group found out Glinda’s castle stood on the edge of the desert.
- The Winged Monkeys told Dorothy about Glinda the Good Witch.
- Which of Dorothy’s friends was the first to volunteer to travel with her to the Land of the South? What was his reason for doing so?
- Sequence the following events in Chapter 18 in the sequence in which they occurred by numbering them 1, 2, etc.
______ Dorothy used the Golden Cap to summon the Winged Monkeys.
______ The soldier with the green whiskers was summoned to the Throne Room.
______ The four travelers plan a trip to Glinda’s Palace.
______ The four travelers met in the Throne Room and cried over the loss of Oz.
______ The Winged Monkeys said they could not leave the Land of Oz.
______ The group learned that Glinda the Good Witch lived to the South next to the desert.
Constructed Response ~ Comparing Dorothy to Another Book Character
Language Arts Skill ~ Analogies with Synonyms, Antonyms, and Homophones
Follow these links to see the entire book unit: