This free book study for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is being offered in weekly installments. The best place to begin is with the introduction found here. This post contains teaching materials for Chapter 13 ~ The Rescue.
Summary of Chapter 13 ~ The Rescue
The Winkies feast and dance to celebrate their freedom from the Wicked Witch of the East. Dorothy and the Lion do not feel like a celebration because their friends are not with them. They ask the Winkies for help. First the Winkies, Dorothy, and the Lion find the Tin Woodman. After three days and four nights of repairs, he is as good as new. Then the group goes out to rescue the Scarecrow. He is put back together and stuffed with fresh straw. The Winkies ask the Tin Woodman to stay and be their ruler; however, he wants to return to the Emerald City with the others to receive his heart. The Winkies give each person a special gift made of gold and diamonds before they leave.
Teaching Materials for Chapter 13 ~ The Rescue
solder [verb] ~ to use a melted mixture of metals to connect; join, secure
And when the tinsmiths came, bringing with them all their tools in baskets, she inquired, “Can you straighten out those dents in the Tin Woodman, and bend him back into shape again, and solder him together where he is broken?”
❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿ ❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿❤
burnished [adjective] ~ a smooth, shiny appearance; luster
Others polished the blade until all the rust was removed and it glistened like burnished silver.
- Number the following events in the correct sequence they occurred.
______ Lion and Dorothy found the Tin Woodman.
______ After being freed from the Wicked Witch, The Winkies feasted and danced.
______ The Winkies passed out gifts.
______ The Winkies stuffed the Scarecrow with fresh straw.
- Which character did the Winkies like best?
- Tin Woodman
Why did you select this character?
- The effect of Toto hiding under the bed was ______.
- Aunt Em dropped the dishes
- Uncle Henry yelled, “Run for the cellar!”
- Dorothy didn’t get to the storm cellar before the cyclone hit the house.
- Aunt Em became mad.
- Predict what you think will happen now that Dorothy is wearing the Golden Cap.
- List each gift the Winkies gave the group before they left the East to return to the Emerald City. Tell why each gift was appropriate for the character
Tin Woodman ~
- Constructed Response ~ Character Change ~ The Tin Woodman
- Language Arts Skill ~ Suffix [-ion /-tion /-ation /-ition / -cion]
Follow these links to see the entire book unit: