Native American What is a Folk Tale?
Get the printable version of this page.
A folk tale is a story or legend handed down from generation to generation usually by oral retelling. Folk tales often explain something that happens in nature or convey a certain truth about life.
- The beginning of the story starts with "Once upon a time . . . " or a similar phrase.
- Magic events, characters, and objects are part of the story
- One character is someone of royalty (king, queen, prince, princess, etc.)
- One character is wicked.
- One character is good.
- Goodness is rewarded in the story.
- Certain numbers like three and seven are in the story (three eggs, seven sisters, etc.)
- The story ends with ". . .they lived happily ever after."
List folk tales you have read this school year.