Students will enjoy creating this beautiful yet super easy rose craft. The rose may be used as a simple craft or used to teach dozens of skills.
Cover for Writings for The Secret Garden
Give students a series of writing prompts. The writings may be turned into a book using the rose as a cover. Here is a list of prompts:
- Write a character description for each of the main characters: Mary, Dickon, Martha, Ben, Mrs. Medlock, Dr. Craven, Colin, and Archibald Craven.
- How have Mary and Colin changed over the course of the book?
- Make a timeline of the circumstances that influenced Mary or Colin. What caused them to behave badly?
- Compare and contrast Mary and Colin. How are they alike and different?
- Would you rather be Colin or Mary? Explain.
- Whose problems were the most severe, Mary or Colin? Explain why using proof from text.
- Rewrite the story using a different setting.
- 2017 instead of 1909
- United States instead of Yorkshire
- Compare two versions of The Secret Garden. What are the pros and cons of each version?
- Write a conversation between two of the characters.
Have students create leaves without the vein lines. On the leaves, students can write information.
- Write figurative phrases from the story.
- Write vocabulary words and definitions.
- Each student is assigned a vocabulary word. Students write synonyms on the leaves.
Flower with Text
Turn your page landscape. Place the flower on one side and add a short text to the other side of the page. Here are some ideas.
- an inspiration quote from the story
- Write a poem about the garden.
- Use vivid imagery to describe the garden.