Because of Mr. Terupt is a phenomenal book! It features seven narrators telling about their 5th grade year at Snow Hill School. Each narrator has a unique problem s/he must work through. Students include:
- Luke – the class genius
- Jeffrey – the boy with a secret who hates school
- Peter – the class clown
- Danielle – who wants friends
- Jessica – the new girl in town
- Anna – the outcast because of her family history
- Lexie – the bully
With so many conflicts to solve, Because of Mr. Terupt is a perfect book for teaching theme. In this activity, students complete a table by thinking about the main characters in the book. What challenge, problem, or conflict does each character go through? Add what the characters learn. In what important way does each character change? This will be the major themes in the book.
You can download the free printable here.
Free Samples from Because of Mr. Terupt Book Unit
If you would like to try out the book unit before you buy it, this download contains the following free samples:
- Vocabulary Practice for September
- Comprehension Questions for September
- Constructive Response Question – Setting
- Constructive Response Question – Character Traits
- Photos to Show What the Rest of the Unit Looks Like
Because of Mr. Terupt Book Unit
Because of Mr. Terupt Book Unit contains graphic organizers for an interactive notebook and game activities covering vocabulary, comprehension questions, constructive response writing, and skill practice.