Grade 4 : Standard 4 - Heredity
Conceptual Strand 4
Plants and animals reproduce and transmit hereditary information between generations.
Guiding Question 4
What are the principal mechanisms by which living things reproduce and transmit information between parents and offspring?
Grade Level Expectations
Checks for Understanding
State Performance Indicators
GLE 0407.4.1 Recognize the relationship between reproduction and the continuation of a species.
GLE 0407.4.2 Differentiate between complete and incomplete metamorphosis.
0407.4.1 Design a simple demonstration that illustrates the relationship between reproduction and survival of a species.
0407.4.2 Study the life cycles of a variety of organisms and determine whether these processes illustrate complete or incomplete metamorphosis.
SPI 0407.4.1 Draw conclusions about the relationship between reproduction and the survival of a species.
SPI 0407.4.2 Distinguish between complete and incomplete metamorphosis.
Parents, Offspring, and Life Cycles
Amphibian Life Cycles
- United Streaming - Amphibian Reproduction and Life Cycles (03:54)
- Grade 2 http://www.harcourtschool.com/menus/science/up_close2.html
- See Chapter 2 - The Life Cycle of a Frog
- Many Links including videos http://www.kiddyhouse.com/Themes/frogs/
- Tutorial - Life Cycle of a Frog http://bcs.whfreeman.com/thelifewire/content/chp34/34020.html
- Interactive Whiteboard Activities (Includes flowering plant life cycle, frog, and man) http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc/Phase2delivery/Wales/Science/Keystage2/Lifeprocessesan/Lifecycles/Introduction/
- Go over stages of an Amphibian Life Cycles (frogs and newts)
Insect Life Cycles
- United Streaming - Insect Life Cycles: Metamorphosis (15:00)
- Grade 3 http://www.harcourtschool.com/menus/science/up_close3.html
- See Chapter 1 Incomplete and Complete Metamorphosis
Moth and Butterfly Websites
Life Cycle of a Moth http://www.enchantedlearning.com/language/english/label/mothlifecycle/
Butterfly or Moth http://www.allaboutbutterflies.com/subjects/butterfly/
Butterfly Art http://www.eduplace.com/rdg/gen_act/insect/b_fly.html
Butterfly/Caterpillar Party http://www.partydirectory.com/guide/theme067.htm
- Online Activities
- Sequencing frog, bean plant, and butterfly http://funschool.kaboose.com/formula-fusion/games/game_fun_science.html
- Life Cycles http://www.berghuis.co.nz/abiator/patana/5t/science/lifecycles.swf
- Presentation about the Life Cycles of Butterflies and Frogs http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/science/powerpoint/butterflies_and_frogs.swf
- Sequencing the Life Cycles of Butterflies and Frogs http://www.tgfl.org.uk/tgfl/custom/resources_ftp/netmedia_ll/ks1/science/hamshall/life_cycles/images/lifecycleflash.swf
- The Life Cycle of a Butterfly http://www.flashclassroom.com/docs/flash/79_butterfly_emma.swf