Quiz on Lesson 1
The Compromise of 1850
1. A compromise is
- a way to settle an argument when both sides give a little to get a part of what they want.
- when a settlement can not be reached between two groups.
2. The Missouri Compromise of 1820 ____________to enter the Union as a free state.
3. The Missouri Compromise of 1820 allowed ____________ to enter the Union as a slave state.
4. Which of the following states was NOT admitted to the Union between 1836 and 1850?
5. When California asked to be admitted to the Union, the Missouri Compromise was tested because _________________________________.
- half of California was in a free territory and the other half was in a slave territory
- California outlawed slavery
- California was extremely large
6. Under the Compromise of 1850, the state of ________________ came into the Union as a free state.
- New Mexico
- South California
- North California
7. Under the Compromise of 1850 the south got a promise that Utah and New Mexico could _______________________________.
- be free states
- decided for themselves whether they wanted slavery or not
- be slave states
8. The South got a new law called the ______________ which said that any slaves escaping from the south to freedom in the north should be returned to their masters.
- Runaway Slave Law
- Fugitive Slave Law